The Jesuits associated with Jesuit High School are always honored when they are asked to join alumni of JHS in the sacramental celebrations at special times in their lives. At the same time, Jesuit High School recognizes and respects the fact that the proper “faith home” of all Catholics is their parish church and suggests that these sacramental celebrations take place there. For families from out-of-town or otherwise not established in a parish in New Orleans, we recommend contacting Immaculate Conception Jesuit Church on Baronne Street. As the historic home of Jesuit High School, they are always happy to work with families in scheduling baptisms, weddings, and funerals. And they are always happy to welcome Jesuit High School and other visiting deacons and priests to officiate.
When it is the best option, the Jesuit priests at Jesuit High School, insofar as their schedules allow, will try to honor requests to officiate at sacramental celebrations for alumni in the school chapels. Clear policies have been established for these events.
Usage of the chapels at Jesuit High School is intended primarily for the students of Jesuit High School. Jesuit High School Alumni may reserve the chapel for weddings and other appropriate occasions. Archdiocesan policy states that you must begin preparing for your marriage with a priest or deacon no less than six months prior to your wedding. Exceptions to this policy will be made only in light of serious extenuating circumstances. Weddings may only be scheduled on Fridays from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM and on Saturdays, between the hours of 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM if there is no conflict with existing events.
View the Policies for Usage of the Chapels of Jesuit High School for the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony
Baptism ceremonies are restricted to the Holy Name of Jesus Chapel, more commonly referred to as the small chapel. Alumni interested in using the chapel for Baptisms should begin by filling out the online usage request form, indicating the preferred dates and times of the ceremony. Once the request is received, the family will be contacted by Jesuit High School’s Events Coordinator to discuss the date(s) requested.
View the Policies for Usage of the Holy Name Chapel for the Sacrament of Baptism
Funerals can only be celebrated on Saturdays at times that do not to interfere with school activities. Fees associated with the reservation of the chapel for funerals are coordinated through the funeral director. Please have your funeral director contact the Events Coordinator for Jesuit High School, D.J. Galiano, to discuss availability. The chapel is available for the funerals of Jesuit High School alumni only.
Religious Event Request Form
Renovation work has begun on the original 1926 Banks St. wing of the building. We have created a path to access the small chapel throughout the renovation process; however, the following items should be noted:
- The small chapel can be accessed from the second floor of the school building only.
- The nearest stairwell that can be used is the green stairwell which is accessible from the building entrance near the statue of St. Ignatius on the south side of the Traditions Courtyard.
- Elevator access to the small chapel is still available. Please use the elevator in the 1953 wing near the cafeteria and main bathrooms.
- Restrooms are available around the campus; however, there are none available in the immediate vicinity of the small chapel.
- In the event the renovation progress should cause the small chapel to be temporarily unavailable, we will re-locate effected events to Jesuit’s Chapel of the North American Martyrs (Large Chapel).
- If you have any questions about building access, please contact your appointed sacristan first or myself if not applicable.
We thank you for your flexibility and patience during this time of progress at Jesuit High School.