Announcements for Friday, February 4, 2022
Today is Friday, February 4, 2022
Regular Order, Day 2
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place throughout the day in the 2nd floor chapel. There will be no benediction service during lunch.
- To celebrate Black History Month the Jesuit Men of Color will present a series of mini-lectures entitled Four on Friday: The Music of the Movement. On each of the four Fridays in February, starting this Friday, the JMOC will play and discuss the significance of four songs inextricably tied to the Civil Rights Movement, with each presentation tied together by a theme. Presentations are during first half of lunch in Room 210. All interested students and faculty are invited to attend. This week’s theme is Lift Every Voice—The Church and the Movement.
- The Creative Writing Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 115.
- The Jesuit Medical Society invites all interested students to join us for our guest speaker after school today in Room 317. Dr. Sayed Rab is a nephrology specialist and the father of several Jesuit students. The event begins at 3:10 and will conclude by 4:15.
- The Anime Club will meet today after school in Room 121 to take yearbook photos.
- The varsity basketball team will host Shaw tonight in the Benson Arena starting at 7:00. The jv game begins at 5:45.
- There will be a Big Brother/Little Brother Tailgate before the Jays face the Shaw Eagles tonight beginning at 5pm in the courtyard. There will be food, games, and prizes.
- The 9th grade basketball team plays at Shaw on Saturday morning starting at 10:00. The 8th grade game follows at 11:00.
- The varsity baseball team will scrimmage both Lakeshore and St. Paul’s on Saturday at Lakeshore starting at 11:00.
- The varsity soccer team will play at Baton Rouge High in the regional round of the playoffs on Saturday afternoon starting at 1:00. Admission is $7.00 for everyone.
- Interested in serving breakfast to the homeless on an upcoming Thursday? Spots are open on Feb. 10 and 17. Please see Mr. Murphy in Room 225 to sign up. All students, faculty, and staff are welcome to participate.
- The Phils Tech Crew is looking for new members. If you are a maker or have an interest in lighting, sound, construction, painting, or any other behind the scenes creative work, stop by the Phils office, Room 201, at lunch or after school for more information and an application.
- Students who received honors recommendation notices for Biology or Chemistry next year are reminded that the forms are due no later than Friday, Feb. 11. Please bring them to Mrs. Tassin in Room 317.
- An admissions representative from Spring Hill College will be visiting Jesuit during lunch today in Room 122. Please come if you are a senior with questions about your acceptance and deposit or if you are a junior interested in learning more.
- Printing fees for the month of January have been distributed in home room. Students should pay these fees before Thursday, Feb. 10 to avoid losing computer services. Payments will be accepted in Room 215 before school, during 10-minute break, and at the lunch hour.
- Congratulations to the Jesuit Philelectic Society for a small but successful 14th Annual Senior-Directed One Act Play and Improv Comedy Festival to support Second Harvest Food Bank. Each dollar donated supplies 4 meals to those with food-insecurity. The Phils were able to donate $1,500 and 100 lbs of food with this year’s event; a total of 6000 meals.
- On Saturday, Varsity Quiz Bowl competed against teams from Louisiana and Texas in the Cade Classic Tournament at Episcopal School of Acadiana. The B team, featuring captain Ken Nguyen with Ellis Beasley, Max Daly, and Derek Tsang, continued to play close, exciting matches – a few of which came down to the final question – to finish with a 5-3 record. The A team, led by captain Andrew Cavignac alongside Dominic Gennaro, Zane Madi, and Wade Rogers, was able to defeat one in-state rival, Caddo Magnet, before narrowly falling to Catholic due to a points-per-game tiebreaker, with Jesuit ultimately claiming 2nd place. Individually, Jesuit’s players continued to excel; Ken Nguyen was the 8th-highest scorer, Wade Rogers took 5th, and Zane Madi claimed 2nd overall at the tournament.
- On Wednesday the 8th grade basketball team defeated St. Paul’s 43-32. After playing a back and forth first half, the team used strong team defense and smart offensive play to take control in the second half. Michael Brothers played an excellent defensive game, harassing St. Paul’s ball handlers and fighting for rebounds and loose balls. On offense, Brennan Pitts led all scorers with 14 points, while Tanner Hughes added 11. Sven Jensen, Brady Autin, and Marshal Serio also had big buckets.
- The Jesuit Rugby team defeated Brother Martin 53-14 on Saturday at the Shrine on Airline in front of a booming Gizzard. The Jays’ fast-paced offense broke tackles and passed their way to score several tries. The relentless pressure of the Jesuit defense and swarming kick chase resulted in turnovers and great field position.
- The Blue Jay Wrestlers defeated Archbishop Shaw 39-24 in front of a hostile crowd on the road on Wednesday night. Starting the dual off with a victory was senior Ferdie Laudumiey. Seniors Luc Colomb, Jackson Ballay, Dennis Dougherty; Junior Chase Haydel; Sophomore Spencer Lanosga; and Freshmen Bodi Harris and Wyatt Mire would all pick up wins to lead the Blue Jays to victory.