Holy Name Chapel Prepares for a Once-in-Two-Centuries Renovation
For the first time since it was originally constructed in 1901, the Chapel of the Holy Name of Jesus is about to be renovated. The small chapel, located in the administration wing of the main school building, will undergo a multifaceted restoration and preservation beginning this summer.
Originally built as the student chapel at the College of the Immaculate Conception on Baronne Street, the small chapel was moved to its current location in 1925-26. The stained glass windows and dome, altar, and pews of the chapel were relocated and reconstructed on site to serve as the Jesuit community’s domestic chapel.
Now the Holy Name chapel serves Jesuit’s students, faculty and staff, alumni, and families as the spiritual heart of the school. While the Chapel of the North American Martyrs, or the large chapel, continues to be used for monthly Masses and services on holy days of obligation, the small chapel plays an integral part in the worship life of the Jesuit High School community.
Students use the spiritual oasis for daily Mass, weekly adoration of the blessed sacrament, personal prayer and reflection throughout the school day, and team and class Masses. Many Jesuit mothers meet weekly for the Mothers’ Rosary Group. Alumni classes also hold reunion Masses in the small chapel.
A Legacy in Need of Preservation
The chapel has been in its current location for 88 years, decades that have exacted a toll on not only the infrastructure, but also the magnificent stained glass windows, the majestic skylight dome, the extraordinary paintings, and the handmade Cypress pews.
The features of the chapel now stand in need of restoration and preservation in order to serve Jesuit’s mission of faith formation for another century. Much needed restoration and painting will help protect the chapel against future damage. Improved lighting will enhance the overall effect of this beautiful chapel.
As part of a continuing enhancement of its facilities, Jesuit will begin a “100-year renovation” of the Holy Name Chapel in summer 2014.
You have the opportunity to participate in this project that will ensure the chapel’s reverence, beauty, and dignity into the next century. Donations of any amount are welcomed to this worthy project, and a number of naming opportunities for the hallmark features of the chapel are available. Learn more or donate now.
For more information, please contact Tom Bagwill at (504) 483-3841 or email@example.com.