From Athletics to Academics, Annual Awards Night Yields Lifelong Mementos for Blue Jays
More than 200 Blue Jays earned honors for their academic, co-curricular, and athletic achievements during the 2013-2014 school year at the annual Awards Night ceremony on Thursday, May 8 in the Jesuit Auditorium.
Academic departments awarded honors to high achieving students in a variety of subjects. Several University Book Awards were also presented to next year’s graduating class on the basis of academics, co-curricular activities, community service, and high character.
In addition, the U.S. Coast Guard and United States Military Academy presented appointments to three Blue Jays.
Nearly 30 students were honored for their District and State Rally wins, while seven Blue Jays earned perfect scores on their National Latin Examinations in Latin I, Latin IV, and Latin V.
Athletic and Co-Curricular Awards were presented to about three dozen Blue Jays, honoring their accomplishments throughout the school year.
University Book Awards
- The Fairfield University Book Award was presented to Patrick R. Cecola.
- The Holy Cross College Book Award was given to Steven H. Stradley.
- The Randolph College Book Award was presented to Harrison A. Bond.
- The Saint Michael’s College Book Award was given to Joshua C. Hudak.
- The Tulane University Book Award was presented to Patrick D. Fine.
- The Washington and Lee University Book Award was given to William S. Tittle.
- The William Book Award was presented to Samuel J. Zelden.
- The Yale University Book Award was merited by Michael W. McMahon.
- CDR Alex Foos, Commander, U.S. Coast Guard presented an appointment to the United States Merchant Marine Academy to Devin P. Keister.
- Mr. Richard Spanelli of the United States Military Academy presented appointments to Thomas J. Nimmo and Christopher L. Wilson.
- The Lea N. Hebert Memorial Award for Excellence in Public Debate in the Senior Division was merited by Mako C. Giordano.
- The Giunio Socola Memorial Award for Excellence in Debate in the Lincoln-Douglas Senior Division was awarded to Reuben A. Hogan.
- The John D. Schilleci Memorial Award for Elocution in the Senior Division was merited by Mayank Mardia.
- The Felix J. Hebert Memorial Award for Excellence in Public Debate in the Junior Division was awarded to Andrew J. Cerise.
- The Frank T. Howard Memorial Award for English was merited by Kevin E. Yokum.
- The William Helis Memorial Award for Greek was merited by Quinn G. Stiller.
- The Jesuit 500 Club Award for Latin was awarded to Kevin E. Yokum.
- The Loyola University Award for Mathematics, given to the senior with the highest overall average in mathematics, was earned by Sean Edward Stephens.
- The Culture of Life Award was given to the student who has shown exemplary leadership in the Jesuit Pro Life Club. This award was merited by Brendan J. Besh.
- The Philelectic Society Award for outstanding achievement in Dramatics was merited by Eric Joseph Hartupee.
- The Frank T. Howard Memorial Award for excellence in Physics was awarded to Kevin E. Yokum.
- The Paquette Family Award for excellence in French was merited by John C. Landry.
- The Ubaldo Trelles Memorial Award for excellence in Spanish was awarded to Herbert Spurlock, III.
- The Reverend William J. Ryan Memorial Award for Social Studies, donated by Dr. J. Joseph Ryan, was merited by Kevin E. Yokum.
- The Professor Michael Cupero Memorial Award for musical excellence, donated by his grandson, Col. Hamil M. Cupero ’56, was awarded to Quinn G. Stiller.
- The Coach Edwin E. Toribio Memorial Award, given to the member of the graduating class who best combined scholarship and athletics, was presented to Joseph Duas Hebert IV.
- The Larry Gilbert Family Memorial Award for the best all-around athlete on the varsity teams for the current year was awarded to Joseph Duas Hebert IV.
- The Bausch & Lomb Science Award is presented annually to the junior who has displayed the most outstanding cumulative achievement through the junior year in the sciences. This year the Bausch & Lomb Award was merited by Mark C. James, Jr.
- The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal is given annually to a junior in recognition of outstanding cumulative achievement through the junior year in both mathematics and science. This year’s Rensselaer Medal was merited by Steven H. Stradley.
- The L’Union Français Award for French was merited by Abel A. Lopez III.
- The Jimmy Kuck Award for Excellence in Chemistry was presented to Steven H. Stradley.
- The Award for Excellence in Biology was awarded to Troy A. Broussard, Jr.
- The Susan & Garic Schoen Award for Excellence in Computer Studies was awarded to Ian A. Calamari.
- The Aloysius J. Cahill Memorial Award for Proficiency in Oratory was merited by Rishab M. Chimmanamada.
- The Reverend Francis A. Fox, S.J. Memorial Award for Instrumental Music, donated by Mr. Harry Morel, Sr, was merited by Richard A. Williams, Jr.
- The Vincent Liberto Award for 2nd Place in Instrumental Music was awarded to Patrick K. Doell.
- The Premio de Honor de la Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica Award for Spanish was merited by Richard A. Williams, Jr.
District & State Rally Winners
1st in our Division
Algebra I — David Gravolet
Introduction to Business Computer Application — William Rogers
Latin II — John Cazabon
World Geography — Samy Amkieh
English I — Patrick Murray
English III — James Stoner
English IV — Garth Cook
Environmental Science — Carlos Zervigon
Fine Arts Survey — Gerard R. Spencer
Spanish III — Mitchell Falcon
Calculus — Sean Stephens
Computer Science — Ian Calamari
French IV — John Landry
Spanish IV — Richard Williams, Jr.
1st in Division and Overall
Physical Science — Juan Manuel Molina
Biology — Andrew Souther
Spanish I — Troy Broussard
Algebra II — John James
Advanced Math — Functions & Statistics Matthew Sentilles
Business Computer — Applications Charles Farley
French III — Steven H. Stradley
Psychology — Cameron Martinez
State Rally Results
1st in Division:
U.S. History — Andrew Cerise
Fine Arts Survey — Gerard R. Spencer
Calculus — Sean Stephens
1st in Division and Overall:
Spanish III — Mitchell Falcon
Algebra II — John James
French III — Steven H. Stradley
Open Language Events – Superior Rating:
French I Interpretive Reading — Eric Espinal
French III Interpretive Reading — James Laborde
Spanish IV Interpretive Reading — Richard Williams, Jr.
National Latin Examination Awards
Perfect Score — Latin I
Nathan C. Koenig
Ethan B. Erhardt
Malcolm G. Sundell
David B. Gravolet
Robert F. Cerise
Perfect Score – Latin IV
Brandon M. Sprague
Perfect Score — Latin V
Kevin E. Yokum
- The Coach Gernon Brown Memorial Award for the Best All-Around Athlete of the Junior Varsity Teams was awarded to Mark Raymond Beebe, Jr.
- The “Fighting Jaylet” Award donated by Mr. Charles W. Heim, Jr., for the Junior Varsity Basketball Player who has demonstrated the highest quality of excellence as a student athlete was awarded to Mark Raymond Beebe, Jr.
- The Don Ford Award for the Best Football Lineman of the current year was presented to Michael Thomas McCombs.
- The Robert T. Casey Memorial Award for the Varsity Athlete with the Best Sportsmanship and Spirit was awarded to Evan Matthew Kramer.
- The “Rusty” Staub award for the Senior Baseball Letterman with the best Sportsmanship, Leadership, and Spirit was merited by Spencer Adam Miller.
- The William D. and Maybell Postell Award for the Senior Basketball Player with the Best Leadership, Scholarship, and Spirit was awarded to Grant Nelson Nichols.
- The Michael D. Conway Award for the Most Valuable Player on the Soccer Team was awarded to Nicholas Daniel Tadros.
- The Edwin F. Stacy, Jr. Award for the Outstanding Wrestler was awarded to Nicholas Anthony Charles.
- The Most Valuable Golfer Award for the golfer who has made a significant contribution to the team, having exhibited exemplary leadership, and having performed in an outstanding manner in tournament play was presented to Charles Grant Glorioso.
- The Rodriguez Family Award for the Most Valuable Swimmer was awarded to Brett Joseph Dipuma.
- The Chester M. Rieth Award for the Senior Letterman in Track Leadership, Sportsmanship, and Spirit was presented to Anthony James Genova.
- The Stanley Ray Award for the Most Improved Track Letterman for the current year was merited by Patrick Gregory LaCour.
- The Morris B. Redmann, Jr. Memorial Award for Outstanding Senior Football Letterman who best combined Scholarship and Athletics was presented to James Joseph Mickler.
- The Joseph Michael Worley Memorial Award given to the graduating senior who by his Unselfishness, Sportsmanship, and Spirit during his career at Jesuit has enhanced the athletic program as a player, manager, trainer, or student was presented to Joseph Duas Hebert IV.
- The Christopher Morgan Memorial Award for the cross-country letterman who has best exemplified courage, leadership, sportsmanship, and spirit was merited by Jonathan Charles Blanchard.
- The Most Valuable Tennis Player Award for the tennis letterman who has made a significant contribution to the tennis team by having exhibited exemplary leadership and having performed in an outstanding manner was presented to Andrew Joseph Tufts.
Non-Athletic Co-Curricular Awards
The Marine Corps JROTC Awards
- The American Legion Bronze Medal for Scholastic Excellence was awarded to the senior MCJROTC cadet who earns the highest GPA. The award will be presented by the commander of American Legion Post #125, Mr. Richard Bell. This year, the award was merited by Cadet Major Ian Calamari.
- The American Legion Bronze Medal for Military Excellence was awarded to the senior MCJROTC cadet who distinguishes himself through his military bearing, discipline, character, and citizenship. The award will be presented by the commander of American Legion Post #125, Mr. Richard Bell. This award was merited by Cadet Colonel Garrett Wolff.
- The Sons of American Revolution JROTC Bronze Medal was awarded to the junior MCJROTC cadet who has exhibited the highest standards of leadership, military bearing, and excellence. This award was merited by Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Evan Flynn.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution Junior ROTC Bronze Medal was presented to the cadet who distinguishes himself through his dependability, good character, and discipline. This award was merited by Cadet Sergeant Major James Szeszycki.
- The Military Order of World Wars Bronze Medal was presented to the outstanding freshman MCJROTC cadet. This award was merited by Cadet Corporal Travis Kieff.
- The Veteran’s of Foreign Wars Medal was presented to the senior MCJROTC cadet who exhibits outstanding leadership both in the MCJROTC Program and other activities. The award will be presented by Commander Larry Jones, United States Coast Guard, retired, representing VFW Post #8973. This award was merited by Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Wilson.
- The Military Officers’ Association of America JROTC Medal was presented to the MCJROTC cadet who has exhibited superior leadership, dedication, and character. This award was merited by Cadet Major Matthew Subervielle.
- The Daedalian JROTC Achievement Award was presented to a junior MCJROTC cadet who has demonstrated outstanding patriotism, love of country, and service. This award was merited by Cadet First Lieutenant John Grieco.
- The Woman Marine Association Outstanding Cadet Award was presented to the outstanding sophomore MCJROTC cadet. The award will be presented by Master Gunnery Sergeant Rivera, Staff Sergeant Woods, and Staff Sergeant Dyer of the Women Marines Association. This award was merited by Cadet Staff Sergeant William Waguespack.
- Noncommissioned Officers Association Award was presented to the MCJROTC cadet who, while serving as a noncommissioned officer, has demonstrated superior military bearing, personal appearance, and leadership. This award was merited by Cadet Sergeant Major Tyler Fox.
- The Knights of Columbus Patriotism Award was presented to the junior MCJROTC cadet who distinguishes himself through his patriotism and leadership. This award was merited by Cadet Gunnery Sergeant Joshua deBoisblanc.
- The 4th Degree Knights of Columbus Patriotic Award presented by Bienville 4th Degree Assembly is merited by Daniel J. Boudreau.
The National Honor Society Awards
- The Excellence in Scholarship Awards are presented to the Senior members of the St. Aloysius Gonzaga Chapter of the National Honor Society who were selected by the NHS Faculty Council as our school’s nominees to the National Honor Society National Scholarship Competition. This year the awards are merited by Reuben Hogan, Zhen Huang, Patrick Ryan, and Kevin Yokum.
- The Excellence in Leadership Award was given to the NHS Senior member who has provided exemplary leadership to the chapter since his induction ceremony. This year the award was merited by Cullen Walsh.
- The Excellence in Service Award was presented to the chapter member who has provided most service in the National Honor Society daily Tutoring and Mentorship Program. This year the award was merited by Eugene Kim.
- The Excellence in Character Award was given to the member of the chapter who best models what it means to be “a man for others” inside and outside of the school. This year the award was merited by Mark Alvarez and Eric Hartupee.
- The Service to the Chapter award was presented to members whose commitment and volunteer work has advance greatly the mission of the chapter. This year the award was merited by Andrew N. Nguyen and Andrew Prejean.
- The St. Aloysius Gonzaga Award for the Member of the Year was presented to the Senior who most fully embodies the four pillars that distinguish the National Honor Society: Character, Leadership, Service and Scholarship. This year the award was merited by Kevin Yokum.
The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica Awards
- The Bertie Green Junior Travel Award was given to the student that represented the San Ignacio de Loyola Chapter in this national competition sponsored by the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica. This year our nominee was selected as the alternate winner, which ranked him in 25th place nationwide. This award was merited by Mitchell J. Falcon.
- The Joseph Adams Senior Award was presented to the chapter member that represented Jesuit High School in this national competition sponsored by the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica. The winner receives a $1000 scholarship to a college or university of their choice. This year the award was merited by Herbert Spurlock III, who was selected as one of the national winners.
- The Award for Service to the Jesuit High School Spanish Learning Community was given to the student whose work through the daily Tutoring and Mentorship Program has impacted the greatest number of Blue Jay learners. This year the award was merited by Jon Marc Daniels.
- The Service to the Chapter award was presented to the member whose commitment and volunteer work has advance greatly the mission of the chapter, and the role of Spanish Learning in the JHS community. This year the award was merited by Mako Giordano.
Bowling Club Certificates
|Glenn Fraychineaud||Benjamin Ainsworth||Trevor Maggio|
|Andrew Prejean||Christoper Ainsworth|
|Christopher Totaro||Stephen Browning|
|Evan Wolff||Jared Ohle|
Letters for The Sailing Club
|Nicholas David||Jonathan Pottharst||Cameron Armand||James Haupt|
|Devin Keister||William Breaux||Connor Housey|
|Zachary Robbins||Rowley Redmann|
Letters for work on the Blue Jay Newspaper
|Brendan Besh||Patrick Fine||William Fine|
|John Caliva||Gerard Spencer||Matthew O’Neill|
Letters for Mu Alpha Theta
|Stanley Dai||Patrick Fine||Jose Cusco|
|Liam Fitzgerald||Mark James||John James|
|Zhen Huang||Patrick Simonson||Connor Maheu|
|Abel Lopez||Matthew Stuckey||Mayank Mardia|
|John Mitton||Joshua Talbot||Harrison Millar|
|Sean Stephens||William Tittle||Andrew M. Nguyen|
|Cullen Walsh||Brian Piglia|
|Kevin Yokum||Felix Rabito|
Certificates for MATHCOUNTS
Letters for Debate
|Reuben Hogan||Eric Bussey||Andrew Cerise||Arjun Verma|
|Zhen Huang||Rishab Chimmanamada||Benjamin Gillen|
|Joshua Duhon||Mayank Mardia|
|Mako Giordano||Robert Cerise|
Letters for Academic Games
|Stanley Dai||Matthew Sentilles||Anton Derbes|
|Matthew Monju||William Dowling|
|Kevin Yokum||Mayank Mardi|
|Alexander Boustany||Richard Gallagher||Joseph Bongiovanni||Christopher Bergeron|
|Clayton Colombo||Ethan Martinez||Tyrus Norcise|
|Nicholas Wolff||Charles Miller||Nolan Stone|
Mock Trial Letters
|Mark Alvarez||Patrick Fine||Ross Barilleaux||William Fine||Nathan Alvarez|
|Charles Farley||Matthew Stuckey||Maurice Carr||Borjius Guient||Emory Ducote|
|Jordan Lacoste||William Tittle||John Fasick||Ryan Gaudet||Andrew Kuebel|
|James Groos||Christian Lacoste|
|Thomas Hellmers||Matthew Latham|
|John Kemmerly||Juan Molina|
Letters for Robotics Club
Letters for Rugby
|Daniel Abadie||Matthew Cassanova||Evan Slattery||Gabriel Massey|
|Peter Belleau||Samuel Clutter|
|Collin Bergeron||Joel Epling|
|Daniel Boudreau||Cameron Minnard|
|Jon Marc Daniels|
|Gian-Carlo Hernandez-San Martin|