Announcements for Friday, February 15, 2019
Today is Friday, February 15, 2019
Assembly Order #2, Day 3
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place today in the 2nd floor chapel. Benediction will begin at 1:10.
- Today we have guidance department assemblies after 4th period. 11th and 12th graders will report to the auditorium after 4th period for a mock trial, a follow-up event from last year’s mock car crash. 8th, 9th, and 10th graders will report to the gym for a presentation on internet safety by Assistant U.S. Attorney, Brian Klebba. Please see Mrs. Favalora or Mr. Maffei in the guidance office if you have any questions.
- The deadline to submit for Calliope is today at 3:00. Bring visual art to the English Department, and send all other work to Mr. Wyss or Mr. Bowes by email. You may also give your work to Art Editor Dylan Davidson, Poetry Editor Evan Leonhard, Fiction Editor William Schott, or General Editor Peyton Toups.
- The Herpetology club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 229.
- The psychology club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 132.
- The Classic Rock Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 203.
- Model UN will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 214.
- Jesuit’s Heavy Metal Society will meet today during the second of lunch in Room 313.
- The varsity basketball team will play at East Iberville tonight in St. Gabriel with tip off set for 7:00.
- The JV basketball team will close out its season competing in the district tournament on Saturday at Archbishop Shaw. The team will face John Curtis at 11:00 in the tourney opener.
- The lacrosse team will play St. Paul’s tomorrow at 2pm at Joe Yenni stadium. Students get in free with a school ID.
- The varsity soccer team will host Northshore in a state semifinal playoff contest tomorrow night at John Ryan Stadium starting at 6:00. Admission is $8.00 for adults and students (non-participating schools) and $5.00 each for Northshore and Jesuit students with ID and children (ages 6-11).
- Top’s Tip of the Day: Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. Always do the right thing.
- Today’s Black History Month fact of the day, brought to you by the St. Peter Claver Club: On Wednesday, August 28, 1963, 250,000 Americans united at the Lincoln Memorial for the final speech of the March on Washington. As Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood at the podium, he eventually pushed his notes aside. On stage near Dr. King, singer Mahalia Jackson reportedly kept saying, “Tell ‘em about the dream, Martin,” and while no one will know if he heard her, it could have been the inspiration he needed to improvise the remainder of what would become one of the most famous speeches in American history.
- Last night, the Bowling Team left everything on the lanes in a tense and hard fought battle against Brother Martin. Although Brother Martin pulled out the win, the Blue Jay bowlers put up their highest numbers of the season thanks to the overwhelming support of the Gizzard. Pre-freshman William Adams had a breakout performance with a high game of 224 and an average of 212. Senior Adam Francis supported with a high game of 234 and an average of 202. The team and coaches want to thank the massive group of students and faculty who showed up to support the team.