Announcements for Friday, January 20, 2023
Today is Friday, January 20, 2023
Regular Order, Day 6
- THE 15th Annual SENIOR-DIRECTED ONE ACT PLAY AND IMPROV COMEDY FESTIVAL is tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 PM in the Jesuit Auditorium to support Second Harvest Food Bank. Admission is $5.00 or five non-perishable food items.
- All Algebra I and Geometry students interested in competing in the Baton Rouge Catholic Math Tournament on January 21 will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 330. If you have questions, see Mrs. Merritt.
- Paintball club will meet today during he first half of lunch in Room 110. See Master Gunnery Sergeant Piseno with any questions.
- The Poker Club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 120.
- The Jesuit SABR Club (Society for American Baseball Research) will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 331.
- Music Critics Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 115.
- The Classic Rock Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 203.
- Students participating in the YMCA Model U.N. Conference will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 214.
- The Fencing Club will meet today after school in Room 307.
- The varsity soccer team will host Brother Martin this afternoon at John Ryan Stadium starting at 4:15.
- The varsity basketball team will host St. Augustine tonight in the Benson Arena with tip off set for 7:00. The jv game begins at 5:30, while the 9th grade game starts at 4:15.
- The varsity wrestling team will compete in the Ken Cole Invitational at Comeaux High in Lafayette this evening and on Saturday.
- The 9th grade soccer team will compete in the St. Paul’s Tournament on Saturday.
- The jv basketball team will face Newman at 10:00 and Hahnville at 11:00 on Saturday with both games being played at Hahnville.
- The 8th grade basketball team will host Brother Martin at 9:00 and Rummel at 12:00 on Saturday in the Benson Arena.
- The Robotics Team will compete tomorrow in the FTC New Orleans Qualifying Tournament at Dominican High School. Qualifying matches are scheduled to begin at 10:45am.
- The Philelectic Society is holding auditions for our spring production of SOMETHING ROTTEN! Tomorrow, Saturday Jan. 21, from 9:30-12:30PM in the auditorium. Info is available on the Jesuit website.
- Anyone interested in singing World Music for a concert in June should see Ms. Arthurs in Room 201 during lunch on Monday for music and information.
- Need even more reason to get excited for today’s game? Check out the latest episode of the Ten Minute Break Podcast. Special guests Jack Lo and Josh Washington join the crew to breakdown their victory of Rummel and discuss the key’s to tonight’s game versus St. Augustine. Ten Minute Break is available on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever fine podcasts are heard.
- For students who arrive early to school, the Commons open everyday at 6:15 AM, and the Courtyard is accessible well before that. Thus, there is no need to wait in your car until school begins. Moreover, per the Bulletin, loitering in the neighborhood, in cars, or in the vicinity of parked cars is not permitted.
- The Jesuit soccer team is on a hot streak, winning 6 straight. Last Saturday Jesuit took on #1 ranked Catholic and won 1-0 in dramatic fashion with a goal from Alex Patron in the last 20 seconds. After taking down the Bears the Jays moved on to defeat the top Division 2 team, Ben Franklin 4-2. With stellar goals from Seniors Carter Dusang, 2 from James Waguespack, and Alex Patron. Defensive efforts were led by Seniors Jacques Broussard, Aidan Corbello, and Cullen Landry who have let up only 4 goals in the past 6 games while the Jays have scored 34.
- On Tuesday, the basketball team defeated Brother Martin 68-55, in front of a hostile student body on Elysian Fields. In a rare occurrence, the team had 5 players score in double figures. Jack Lo had 15, Josh Washington and Will Sheridan each had 13, Brock Guillot scored 11 and Jude Laforge added 10. Josh Washington pulled down 12 rebounds and once again Jude Laforge led another great defensive effort.
- On Wednesday, the wrestling team went to 2-0 in district by defeating Rummel 48-21. Picking up pins for the Blue Jays were seniors John Michael Bourgeois, Chase Haydel, and James Nolan; juniors Arthur Schott and Jackson Calderaro; and sophomore Cam Himel. Wyatt Mire, Griffin Ellis, and and Will Berry also picked up wins in the dual.
- Last weekend the wrestling team competed in the toughest tournament in Louisiana, the Louisiana Classic. Competing with only 13 of 14 weights, the Jays would finished in 4th place. Michael Barnett, John Michael Bourgeois, Chase Haydel, and Dom Logiudice placed 6th. Grant Herbert finished in 5th place and Arthur Schott placed 4th. Three Blue Jay wrestlers, sophomores Bodi Harris and Griffin Ellis and junior Jackson Calderaro, were crowned individual champions, the most of any team in the state.