Anglers Prepare for the 28th Annual Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo!
The time has arrived for the 28th Annual Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo! This year’s event will be held on Saturday, June 27, beginning at 2 p.m. in compliance with and subject to any CDC, state, and parish guidelines. Registration is now open for the event. Anglers should register by Friday, June 19, in order to receive the fishing rodeo shirt! Late registration is available until Thursday, June 25, at 5 pm. Late registrations WILL NOT receive a rodeo shirt.
Established in 1993, the Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo is the ultimate fishing tournament for anglers of all ages. Weigh-in festivities will be held in the Wally Pontiff, Jr. Pavilion at John Ryan Stadium, located at 100 Blue Jay Way in Jefferson Parish. .
Rodeo & Registration Details
Participants may begin fishing on Friday, June 26, at 6 a.m. Participants may fish anywhere; there are no territorial limitations.
- One long sleeve, quick dry shirt with the Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo logo on the back (must register by June 19 for a shirt, late registrants WILL NOT receive a shirt)
- All the delicious food you can eat at the event, along with ice cold beverages
- One chance to win boatloads of fantastic giveaway prizes at the festivities
- One chance to win the Grand Prize Fishing Trip for TWO with Capt. Dudley Vandenborre. (Must be present at drawing to win. Winner must take the trip before the end of the year. Value: $850)
|Rodeo Entry Fees Per Person||Food & Refreshments Only*|
|Adults: $45||Ages 11 and up: $15|
|Ages 18 and under: $30||Ages 10 and under: $10|
* Everyone is welcome to enjoy the weigh-in festivities, even without fishing. This registration includes access to food and refreshments only.
Fr. John Brown, Interim President of Jesuit, will welcome the crowd and share some of his own stories of growing up in the great outdoors of South Louisiana.
Jesuit High School would like to recognize Dr. Nick Rauber ’98, founder of Swollfest and this year’s recipient of the Jesuit Rodeo Achievement Award.
Ray Chagnard is a FLW Redfish Tournament Winner and Owner of Chag’s Sporting Goods. Chagnard will speak at the rodeo on latest and greatest fishing reports and hottest baits.
Special Guests – Blue Jay Fishing Club
The Blue Jay Fishing Club will join the fun as special guests as they have in years past. The club has expanded membership and taken part in many fishing adventures throughout the year.
All registrants receive one long sleeve, quick dry shirt with the Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo logo on the back. Extra shirt orders are available for purchase during online registration.
ATTENTION! Participants must register by 5 p.m. on Friday, June 19, in order to receive a shirt. Registrations after the online deadline or at the event will not include the rodeo shirt.
Division 5: Father-Daughter. Dads and their daughters will vie for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in this division.
Divisions & Categories
Awards are distributed at the weigh-in festivities to 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place by weight in the following divisions and categories. Only pre-registered participants are eligible for awards.
|Division 1: 19 Years & Older*||Bass|
|Division 2: 18 Years & Younger*||Flounder|
|Division 3: 5 Fish Trout Stringer*||Black Drum (16″-27″)|
|Division 4: Biggest Fish, Any Species*||Sheepshead|
|Division 5: Father-Daughter||Speckled Trout|
* Notes: Division 2 winners are not eligible for Division 1. Division 3 entries are not eligible for other categories. Division 4 entrants must leave with their entries. Entries may not be left at the weigh-in festivities. Division 5 trophies will be awarded on “Best Catches” as decided by the weigh master.
The weigh-in festivities will be held in the Wally Pontiff, Jr. Pavilion at John Ryan Stadium, located at 100 Blue Jay Way in Jefferson Parish. Ample parking — including boats — is available. View map and driving directions.
The stadium gates and the weigh-in scales will open at 2 PM. Scales close at 4 PM sharp. Food and refreshments will be served also beginning at 2 PM.
Jesuit thanks and appreciates the hard work and efforts of the Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo Committee and its chairman, Michael McMahon ’85. A special tip of the fishing hat also goes to the late Brother Billy Dardis, S.J. ’58, who is smiling down on the rodeo from heaven.
|Art Brewster ’80||Ryan Gootee ’91||Chris Mills ’80|
|Jimmy Commagere||George Haydel||Jude Trahant ’80|
|Gary Discon ’75||Michael Heier ’05||Ben Bagwill ’12|
|Andy Fuller ’96||Jim Hotard ’81||Gavin Gillen ’98|
|Pat Morris ’90||Rookie Leopold, Jr. ’61||Drew Necaise ’05|
For information about the Blue Jay Fishing Rodeo, contact rodeo chairman Michael McMahon ’85 at (504) 650-1700 (cell).
For assistance with registration, please contact Jeremy Reuther at (504) 483-3813 or email@example.com.