Announcements for Friday, December 13, 2019
Today is Friday, December 13, 2019
Regular Order, Day 7
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place in the 2nd floor chapel. Benediction will begin at 12:50.
- One of the best ways to prepare for Christmas this Advent is to pray the Rosary. Stop by the Campus Ministry Office this week to pick up a free rosary.
- The Outdoors Club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 228.
- Anyone interested in throwing shot put, discus, or javelin for Jesuit’s Track & Field team should meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 229.
- The Classic Rock Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 203.
- The Heavy Metal Society will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 311.
- Balfour will be on campus today during lunch in the Commons to take orders for senior rings and graduation announcements.
- The varsity soccer team will play at Catholic this evening starting at 5:00. The JV game follows at 7:00.
- The varsity wrestling team will host and compete in the Jesuit Invitational Tournament on Saturday in the Benson Arena starting at 9:00.
- The varsity basketball team will continue play in the Newman Invitational Tournament this weekend.
- The 9th grade basketball team will play at Northshore on Saturday starting at 10:00.
- The 8th grade basketball team will compete in the John Curtis Tournament on Saturday.
- The 8th grade soccer team will compete in the Brother Martin Tournament on Saturday.
- All NHS members who want to volunteer for Hams for Fams can sign up on the sheets outside the English and Classics offices Monday through Friday of exam week.
- Today is the big day for the Toys For Tots collection. ROTC will collect all boxes today to distribute toys to the community to allow those less fortunate to have a good Christmas. For any of you who may have forgotten your toys today, you may bring them to Maj Friloux or Master Gunnery Sergeant Piseno next week in the ROTC office, Room 107.
- Top’s tip of the day: Wrong is wrong – so do what is right.
- On Saturday, the Varsity and JV Quiz Bowl teams competed in the Mt. Carmel Academy Tournament. Teams from Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and South Carolina attended. JV turned in a record-breaking performance, easily winning their tournament, finishing with a 9-0 record. Captain Wade Rogers won top honors as the highest individual scorer, followed by Andrew Cavignac at fourth, Ken Nguyen at fifth, and Ethan Schenck at ninth. A well-balanced Varsity team upset defending state champions Lusher, to tie them for first place among Louisiana teams and third overall. Despite their lower seeding, captain Darren Tsang and the team of Conor Brannan, Blake Johnson, and David Webster turned in spectacular performances to defeat Lusher in their head-to-head matchup, ruining Lusher’s undefeated streak this season. Congratulations, Quiz Bowl!
- Last weekend the Blue Jay Robotics Team went to Lafayette for their 2nd qualification tournament of the year. The robotics team won 4 of 6 qualification matches, and made it to the playoffs. In the playoffs the BlueJays, along with their alliance partners The Steel Eagles went undefeated to win the tournament. The Robotics team also won the Inspire Award – the highest award at an FTC competition. In judging, the team was also a finalist for the following awards: Think Award, Rockwell Collins Innovate Award, Design Award, and the Motivate Award. The team’s next competition will be at the Louisiana State Championship, hosted by Southeastern Louisiana University on February 29. Congratulations to the Blue Jay Robotics Team!