Announcements for Wednesday, February 13, 2019
Today is Wednesday, February 13, 2019
Regular Order, Day 5
- Jesuit’s annual Service Fair will be held today during the lunch period in the second floor hallway. Roughly 15 organizations that serve the homeless, disabled, sick, and poor will be on campus to share information about their programs. All students are encouraged to attend, but especially juniors in need of a service project.
- The classics society will be available for Greek and Latin tutoring today during lunch in Room 413.
- The Creative Writing Club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 210.
- The Ultimate Frisbee club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 316. All members playing in the Chattanooga Tournament should attend.
- The Fishing Club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 228.
- All Sodality levels will meet today during the second half of lunch. Seniors and freshmen will meet in their rooms. Juniors will meet on the roof. Sophomores will meet in the chapel.
Why did the nut not want to play checkers? Because it was a chestnut! For this and other Chess facts, meet with the Chess Club this afternoon at 3:00 in Room 332.
- The Disc Golf Club will play today at 3:30 in City Park.
- The Movie Critics Club will meet tomorrow after school in Room 221 to watch Cool Hand Luke.
- Green Club will meet tomorrow after school in Room 311.
- Tomorrow the undefeated Jesuit Bowling team (6-0) will face off against Brother Martin, the 3-year reigning state champs and only other undefeated team in our region. For this Valentine’s Day showdown, we need the Gizzard’s support to ensure we send the Crusaders home with a broken heart. The match runs from 3:20-5:15pm at Brother Martin’s home bowling alley, Colonial Lanes in Harahan. There will be a spirit bus leaving promptly after school to transport students to and from the match. Forms for the Spirit Bus can be picked up in Room 114 and are due today. Act quickly as spots are filling fast. Check out the Student Council’s Bowling promo video: Bowling
- Forms and fees for 8th grade gym night are due tomorrow to Room 114.
- All National Honor Society Members are reminded to bring the 2-L drink donations for the bazaar. See Canvas or Mrs. Tassin for details. Donations must be received before the bazaar.
- Top’s Tip of the Day: If the work is not yours why should you get the credit.
- Today’s Black History Month fact of the day, brought to you by the St. Peter Claver Club: One of Jesuit’s traditional rivals, St. Augustine High School, is located on A.P. Tureaud Street on New Orleans’s 7th Ward. Tureaud was the attorney for the New Orleans chapter of the NAACP during the Civil Rights Movement. With the assistance of Thurgood Marshall and Robert Carter from the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Tureaud filed the lawsuit that successfully ended the system of Jim Crow segregation in New Orleans. That case paved the way for integrating the first two elementary schools in the Deep South. A statue of Tureaud sits at the foot of the street that bears his name.