Announcements for Friday, February 8, 2019
Today is Friday, February 8, 2019
Regular Order, Day 1
Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will take place today in the 2nd floor chapel. Benediction will begin at 12:50.
- Calliope continues to accept poetry, fiction, essays, art, and photography for its 2019 edition. Email writing submissions to Mr. Wyss or Mr. Bowes, and bring physical art to the English Department. The deadline is Feb. 15.
- The Classic Rock Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 203.
- Jesuit’s Heavy Metal Society will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 313.
- Juniors who applied for the service trip to Appalachia should see Mr. Prados today.
The varsity basketball team will host St. Augustine tonight in the gym with tip off set for 7:00. The JV game begins at 5:45, while the 9th grade game starts at 4:30.
The 8th grade basketball team will face St. Augustine on Saturday at 10:00, then play Holy Cross at 11:00. Both games will be played at Brother Martin.
The varsity baseball team will scrimmage Mandeville on Saturday at Mike Miley starting at 3:30.
- The varsity tennis team will scrimmage Catholic on Saturday afternoon at City Park starting at 2:00.
- The varsity wrestling team will compete in the state tournament today and Saturday in Bossier City.
- The Paintball Club’s next outing is Saturday, Feb. 16. No skill set or experience is needed and all equipment is provided. Permission forms are available outside the MCJROTC office. Sign up and join in on the fun.
- Beginning Monday, Feb. 11, the Resource Center will remain open until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday each week. These extended hours will not take place on Fridays, on early dismissal days, or during exam weeks.
- Top’s Tip of the Day: Blue Jay Spirit – show it.
- Today’s Black History Month fact of the day, brought to you by the St. Peter Claver Club: Most people think of Rosa Parks as the first person to refuse to give up their seat on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. While she became a symbol of the Civil Rights movement, there were actually several women who came before her; one of whom was Claudette Colvin. It was March 2, 1955, when the fifteen-year-old schoolgirl refused to move to the back of the bus, nine months before Rosa Parks’ stand that launched the Montgomery bus boycott. Claudette had been studying black leaders like Harriet Tubman in her segregated school and those conversations had led to discussions about local Jim Crow laws. When the bus driver ordered Claudette to get up, she refused, was arrested and thrown in jail.
- In Wednesday night’s play-off match, the varsity soccer team beat Brother Martin 1-0 after a corner kick from Chris Tadros was headed into the net by Gabe Sims. The Jays were also led by senior keeper Jacob Randolph with several key saves.
- Last weekend, the varsity Quiz Bowl Team competed in the Cade Cane Classic at Episcopal School of Acadiana. Teams came from all over the state, and Jesuit’s B team led by Garrison Trahant, with excellent performances by Blake Johnson, Jacob Schenck, and Darren Tsang finished fifth in the tournament. Jesuit’s A team, led by Dexter Webster, with outstanding performances by Matthew Dowling, Bradley Fugetta, and Christopher Vuong went undefeated in the tournament to emerge as the overall winners. Dexter also finished second in the individual standings. Congratulations Quiz Bowl!
The Debate Team competed at the Ben Franklin Speech and Debate Invitational last weekend. In the Public Forum Debate Division, Jesuit’s team of Milan Mardia and Aqib Zakaria executed a complete sweep of the competition, ending the tournament as the only undefeated team and finishing in 1st place. Congratulations.