Announcements for Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Today is Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Assembly Order #1, Day 1
- Today is Career Day, assembly order #1. During the assembly period all 9th and 10th graders will be directed from homeroom to the auditorium to hear a career presentation by Jacques Hebert of the class of 2003. Juniors and seniors will be dismissed from homeroom to the classrooms of various alumni professions located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. 8th graders will take the Louisiana Caring Communities Youth Survey in first floor classrooms.
- Calliope, Jesuit’s arts and literary magazine, is accepting poetry, fiction, essays, art, and photography for its 2019 edition. Email writing submissions to Mr. Wyss or Mr. Bowes, and bring physical art to the English Department. The deadline is February 15.
- There will be a meeting for all MCJROTC cadets today during the first half of lunch in the auditorium.
- The Creative Writing Club will meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 210.
- Pre-freshmen trying out for the 8th-grade baseball team should meet today during the first half of lunch in Room 219. Try-outs begin on Thursday.
- All Sodality levels will meet today during the second half of lunch in their respective rooms.
- The Jesuit Medical Society will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 329 for all juniors interested in the Ochsner STAR summer internship.
- Feeling chesty? Meet with the Chess Club this afternoon at 3:00 in Room 332.
- The varsity wrestling team host both De La Salle and John Curtis tonight in a tri-meet starting at 6:30 in the gym.
- Biotechnology Club will meet tomorrow during the first half of lunch in Room 317. Please check Canvas for details about the planned activity and be sure you bring the items listed.
- The St. Peter Claver Club invites all interested students to its next Lunchtime Speaker Series event tomorrow during the first half of lunch in Room 210. Faith Simmons, editorial director of Tulane University’s News and Public Relations department, and her husband, David Lee, the communications manager for New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell, will talk about the challenges faced by interracial families.
- The Movie Critics Club will meet tomorrow after school in Room 221 to watch Casablanca.
- Top’s Tip of the Day: If your friend wants you to allow him to copy your homework, he is asking you to cheat.
- The wrestling team took third place in the District Championships this past weekend. The team was led by seniors Luke Eccles, Colby Queyrouze, and Perry Ganci, who each won individual district titles. DJ Ferrier took runner-up, and Tony Serio, Luke Battaglia, Charlie Cyrus, Mason Murett, Dennis Dougherty, and Jacob Kieff placed 3rd.
- Last Thursday, the Bowling Team bowled over Holy Rosary with a 26-1 victory. Sophomore Ben Hunn led the team, averaging 196 for the match. On Monday, the Jesuit bowlers continued to dominate, defeating Kenner Discovery 25-2. Ben Hunn once again had an outstanding match, averaging 196, and Pre-Freshman William Adams supported with an average of 183.
- The 9th grade basketball team defeated Rummel 51-32 to remain undefeated in district play. The team was led by Mathew Knight, Josh Washington, and Jack Lo. Holden Hess had 8 points and Michael Britch had 11.
- Jv basketball defeated Rummel 61-29. The team was led by Luke Laforge, Chris Gillen, and Patrick Lavie in scoring. Porter Litchl had 6 rebounds and Malcolm Baldwin led the defense. The team is 7-1 in district play.