Rugby Runs Through Brother Martin, 56-0

Posted February 22, 2016 / Last updated February 22, 2016

Print Print Email Email Share Share
Junior Nate Beech takes on the Crusader defense during Jesuit's 56-0 win over Brother Martin.

Junior Nate Beech takes on the Crusader defense during Jesuit’s 56-0 win over Brother Martin.

With a lethal combination of power, execution, and speed, the Blue Jay rugby team slammed rival Brother Martin, 56-0, at the pitch on Marconi Saturday, Feb. 20. A large group of Jesuit fans witnessed the Blue Jays move their record to 3-0.

Photo gallery coming soon.

The Blue Jays got deep into Crusader territory early. Senior Benji Creel scored a try after receiving a pass from junior Ian Fogerty. The play was set-up by strong inside running from seniors Nick Fresneda and Alex Esparza, along with determined rucking from junior Nate Beech. The score stood 5-0 after a missed conversion.

Later with Jesuit again deep in Crusader Territory, senior Scott Derbes took in a pass from sophomore Gabe Massey and drove his way across the goal for a try. Derbes also kicked the conversion to make the score 12-0.

Taking advantage of long runs by junior Bryce Duffy and senior Josh West, senior Will Waguespack scored a try.

The Jays then stole a Crusader line out. Sophomore Noah Tobin passed the ball to Massey, who tossed to junior Case Ellis. Ellis sped across the goal for another try. With a Derbes conversion, the Jays led 24-0.

Brother Martin mounted a drive deep into Blue Jay territory late in the first half, but junior Bryce Duffy answered with a score-saving tackle. The Jays went into halftime 24-0.

Will Waguespack made a long reach across the goal to score another try and a conversion increased the Jays’ lead, 31-0. After a long territory penetrating run by junior Jacob Whitlow, junior Patrick Brou broke loose from the Crusader defense and sped his way to a score. Playing in his first match of the year, senior Evan Slattery got in on the scoring with a tackle-breaking run that increased the Jays’ lead to 43-0.

Late in the match, juniors Jacob Whitlow and Jack Gab scored trys after some nice runs to cap off the onslaught of scoring. Scott Derbes was 5 of 8 on conversions and the Jays closed the match 56-0.

Blue Jay rugby team hits the road to play their next match against the Houma Hurricanes on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 2 p.m.