Summer Workshop for College Application Essays Offered to Rising Seniors
Jesuit will offer a summer workshop to help rising seniors write their college application essays. The three-day workshop, taught by Allie Timberlake and Gary Wyss, focuses on the Common App Essay, though participants may use the workshop to write other college application essays, including supplemental essays. Students will finish the workshop with a completed draft of their Common App essay ready for fine-tuning and submission.
|First Session:||July 22, 24, and 26||9 – 11 AM|
||July 29, 31, and August 2||9 – 11 AM|
- The workshop will begin with discussion of the Common App prompts and techniques for brainstorming a topic.
- Students will learn the dos and don’ts of choosing and framing a topic for the college-application essay.
- Writing tutorials will include how to begin and end the application essay, how to structure the essay, and how to write and edit efficiently within the word limit.
- Students will draft their essays with the guidance of the instructors.
- Instructors will provide two detailed critiques of each student essay, once at the midpoint and once in response to the finished draft.
- Students will have access to additional critiques from the instructors for one (1) week after completion of the workshop.
Some advance reading (of sample Common App essays) will be required before the beginning of the workshop, and students hoping to finish the workshop with a high-quality Common App essay should expect to put in substantial work between class meetings. Tackling the Common App essay during the summer will allow students to begin senior year with one difficult, stressful task out of the way!
Each session is limited to 30 students and needs a minimum of 12 students to be offered. The cost is $250.
B.S. Loyola University New Orleans
M.A. New York University
Jesuit College Placement Counselor
B.A. Truman State University
M.A. Kansas State University
Jesuit English teacher