Announcements for Friday, December 8, 2017
Today is Friday, December 8, 2017
Mass Day Order, Day 6
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will still take place today in the 2nd floor chapel. Benediction will begin at 1:12.
- The MCJROTC is sponsoring the Toys for Tots Drive. A collection box will be placed in each homeroom tomorrow, and each homeroom is encouraged to fill the box with as many toys as possible. Each toy should be new and unwrapped. Every donation will be used to spread Christmas cheer to local needy children. The drive will end on Friday, Dec. 15. The homeroom in each grade level who donates the most toys will receive a doughnut party. To qualify for doughnuts your homeroom should have donated at least one toy per student.
- he Classic Rock Club will meet today during the second half of lunch in Room 210.
- Those interested in visiting Washington, D.C. this June as part of the Close Up program and missed Wednesday’s meeting should see Mr. Murphy in Room 206 before the end of the week. All Juniors and those Sophomores currently taking American History are eligible to go on the trip.
The JV and Jr. High wrestling teams will host and compete in the Jesuit Invitational Tournament on Saturday in the gym starting at 9:00AM.
The 8th grade basketball team will play St. Augustine at Shaw on Saturday starting at 1:00PM.
The varsity soccer team will complete play in the Mandeville Tournament on Saturday.
The 8th grade soccer team will play at St. Paul’s on Saturday starting at 11:00AM.
The varsity basketball team will conclude play in the Newman Tournament on Saturday.
- The Student Council is sponsoring a Spirit Bus to next Friday’s basketball game at Catholic High in Baton Rouge. Permission forms are available outside Room 114 and are due next Thursday.
- Tomorrow evening at 6 in the auditorium the Blue Jay Band will perform at their annual Christmas Band Concert. Stop by after Grandparents Mass and stay after the concert for a social in the Commons. The night will be filled with Christmas music and magic.
- Seniors: Counseling request forms and applicable fees for every university you plan to apply (or have applied) to are due to the Guidance Office by the end of the day Monday, December 11. No forms will be accepted after this date.
- Top’s tip of the day: We have an opportunity to celebrate Mass today. Be part of the celebration.
- Last weekend the Model UN Team participated in the YMCA Youth & Government Conference in Baton Rouge. The team took home a number of awards, most notably the Premier Delegation Award, which is given to the best school team at the conference. Individually, senior Manuel Molina received the award for Best Delegate Overall and seniors Manuel Molina, Tanner Tripoli, Cutty Ashley, Michael Ingram, and sophomore Aqib Zakaria received the Outstanding Country Award for best representing the views of their country, China.
- On Wednesday the 8th grade basketball team defeated De La Salle 33-27. Henry Gegenheimer led an excellent defensive effort in the final minutes. Matthew Knight led all scorers with 19 points. Gegenheimer added six points.
- On Wednesday, the basketball team defeated Lusher 51 – 48 in a thriller. Elijah Morgan led the way with 21 and Michael Hull scored 12. Last night, the team defeated Helen Cox in Quadruple overtime game 74-73. Noah Varnado scored 29, Elijah Morgan 21 and Michael Hull 11. Mike also had 7 rebounds in the game. Noah hit a desperation shot at the buzzer of the third overtime to send the game to the 4th overtime.
- Last weekend at the Mount Carmel Quiz Bowl Invitational, the varsity team went 6-0 to advance through their bracket to the playoffs, where they narrowly defeated Lusher in a tie-breaker round to face last year’s state champions, St. Martin’s, in the finals. Led by captain Robert Cerise, with impressive performances from Jason Dominique, Eddie Redmann, Caleb Rogers, and Daniel Sartin, the varsity team dispatched St. Martin’s to emerge victorious. In addition to the win, Caleb Rogers was recognized as one of the top three scorers in the tournament. Congratulations, Quiz Bowl.